Paneer Jalfrezi recipe is a spicy North Indian dish. This semi-dry side dish is a blend of paneer and many veggies and spices.
This is my most favourite paneer dish because I love capsicum specially red capsicum. The combination of mixed vegetables makes it so healthy and delightful. It is especially good for kids who needs lots of calcium and protein in their diet.
Paneer 1/4 kgs, cut into long pieces (1 1/2″ length), place in warm water till use
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp nigella seeds
1 Onion, medium, finely sliced
1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1/2 Red Capsicum (optional), julienne
1 Green Capsicum, julienne
4 Baby corn, cut diagonally into 1″ pieces (optional)
1 Carrot, peel and julienne (optional)
3 Beans, cut diagonally into 1″ pieces (optional)
1 Tomato, deseed and slice into long strips
1/4 cup Tomato puree
1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
1 tsp Red chili powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
1/2 tsp Kasuri Methi, crushed
1 tbsp Lemon juice
Salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
- Heat 2-3 tsp oil in a cooking vessel. Now saute paneer pieces till lightly brown. Remove sauteed paneer from the vessel and keep aside. Once hot, add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Add sliced onions and saute for 5 mts. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 3 mts.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, kasuri methi, coriander powder and salt. Mix well. Add tomato puree and cook for 3 mts. Add sliced beans, carrots and cook for 5 mts on low to medium flame. Mix once in a while.
- Add tomato ketchup and mix. Add capsicum pieces and cook on low to medium flame for 5 mts. Mix once in a while.
- Add the paneer pieces and tomato pieces and mix well. Sprinkle 3-4 tbsps of water and mix well. Cook for 4-5 mts on medium high flame tossing the contents.
- Finally add garam masala and lemon juice and mix well. Turn off flame and remove to a serving bowl. Serve with warm rotis or as filling for wraps.
NOTE- If you’d like to make vegetable jalfrezi, omit the paneer and add more vegetables like beans, baby corn, etc.