Aloo tikki with Chhola is a popular north Indian snack. This is a shallow fried potato patty which are served with tangy chickpea curry. This recipe can be made with simple ingredients which are easily available at home only.
Lets start with-
Aloo Tikki Ingredients-
500 gms Potato, boiled and mashed
2 green chillies
1 tsp of Indian Five Spice Blend (panch phoron)
2 tbsp rice flour
2 tsp corn flour
1 tsp black salt
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
Salt to taste
Chhola Curry Ingredients-
200 gms- white chickpeas/
1.5 cup chopped onion
2 medium size tomato
2 green chillies (you can add more if you want it spicy)
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 amchur powder
Salt to taste
1 cup curd
1/4 cup of tamarind- dates chutney
1/4 cup green chutney (I skipped)
1/5 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
2 chopped green chillies( I skipped)
1 pack of Sev (I skipped)
Method for Aloo Tikki-
- Put boiled and mashed potatoes in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make a paste of ginger, green chillies and panch phoran, in a grinder.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients with the paste in the potatoes.
- Make equal size tikkis from this aloo mixture.
- Shallow fry in a pan.
- They are ready to serve with the chhola.
Note- Add salt when you are ready to cook. Otherwise potatoes will leave the water
Method for Chhola-
- Wash the chana and soak in 3-4 cups of water for 6-8 hours.
- Drain the water and add the chana in a pressure cooker along with 4 cups of water, tea bags and 2 tsp salt.
- Pressure cook until chana are softened.
- Remove the pressure cooker from heat and keep aside.
- In a wok, add 2 tbsp of oil. Saute cumin, chopped onion and green chillies till onion turns pink.
- Add ginger garlic paste and stir fry until it leaves oil.
- Add choppes tomatoes, salt, black pepper powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and stir fry again.
- Now add garam masala, amchur powder and cumin powder until the curry is well cooked.
- Add cooked chhola chana along with its water to make it savoury.
- Curry is ready to serve with aloo tikki.
How to Serve this banarasi chaat?
Serve it with all the ingredients mentioned above. (Please go through the video before serving).
Note- I have skipped few ingredients as it was unavailable in my market in the lockdown period.